Monday, May 08, 2006

Dragon ladies of the airways

Being so distant from Miami, I don't get to listen to the voices of the defiant ladies of radio as often as I would like. But the Internet is a wonderful thing and once in a while, if I time it just right, I can tune in by simply going to the radio station's webpage and clicking on the "listen button;" WQBA or WAQI depending on whom or what I want to listen to. Ninoska Pérez Castellón is one my favorites; she is fire and brimstone and I pity the fidelista that crosses her. Marta Flores (La reina de la noche) is actually very boring, her show should be called El ronquido de la noche, at least during evenings when she uses her program to help listeners find their lost chihuahuas. A couple of years ago my daughter interviewed Alina Fernández for a National History Day project and we found her to be very amiable, informative and candid in her answers.
Women on airwaves setting the agenda on Cuba issues

The women of Spanish-language radio -- all of them professionals with a loyal following -- are not faint of heart: They're strong-willed and plain-spoken, can turn paupers into kings, poison the opposition and sweeten the stakes for their causes.

No comments: