Sunday, April 16, 2006

She is a poser

It seems that a couple bloggers are embroiled in a debate with an author about comments she made regarding the lack of coverage on her new book by Miami newspapers. This author with hyphenated Spanish last names has an identity crisis. Let’s name her Valdeguez, in the tradition of the reconquista Mayor of Los Angeles, Antonio Villaraigosa. Antonio chose to fuse instead of hyphenate. But rather than repeat her comments, you can read them at Babalú , and La Ventanita respectively. I would direct you to her site, but you may get Cindy Sheehan instead, it’s hard to distinguish between the two.

In order to move past this cagazón, I suggest the following to the battling bloggers. Ms. Valdeguez should not be confused for a Cuban-American, she is not, and she is just a poser, a drive-by Cuban. Valdeguez is an author with a product to sell; her books revolve around “latino/Hispanic” type characters and her credibility as the author comes from posing as one. She needs to convince her readers that she identifies with her characters, and that is her way of doing it. Isn’t it interesting that the first reading of her latest book is going to be in Miami, a city that apparently she loathes? But books sell there too…duh! Good marketing, Ms. Valdeguez.

So guys, move on and let La Reina Puerca continue to live in her leftist capitalist bubble, selling her stories of little redeeming value. You have already given her too much publicity. I have seen the ranking of her books on Amazon and they are all in the 5 digits plus (low sales) and are heavily discounted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I visited her website and also wrote her a letter, commenting her long tirade about not getting any recognition. She sounded bitter. I also visited her piece about her father, an avowed Castro sympathizer. I believe he's back in Cuba now.
And though she identifies herself as Cuban, she isn't, as I told her. She's half.

Anonymous said...

"There is so much good in the worst of us,And so much bad in the best of us,That it hardly becomes any of us To talk about the rest of us.~E.W.Hoch
I wish you well! :) Melek

La Ventanita said...

Orlando, I'm not embroiled in any debate...in her words PuhLease! you think I'm wasting my time on that? Like I said the world is actually bigger.

If you think I'm embroiled in a debate, you are missing the point, the bigger point of my essay. I used something she said as a platform to say something else- set a record straight. I didn't even mention her in my post - I refuse to give her any publicity.

She is a blip in my life, and you know after you blip that's it you are gone for ever....

Anonymous said...

"The only way to make sure people you agree with can speak is to support the rights of people you don't agree with." :)

Orlando Furioso said...

Ventanita,

You are right, perhaps the word "embroiled" is a little over the top. I stand by the rest.