Saturday, January 28, 2006

US suspends license of travel agency

It is about time!! If fidel insists that the US embargo is what's hurting Cuba, then lets show him for sure. Lets really implement it, or lift it. But cannot have it both ways.

In the Miami Herald
''OFAC is merely implementing the laws regulating travel to Cuba, which have been clearly spelled out for months and years,'' said U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Miami, through spokesman Alex Cruz.
If you live in Southern California all you need to do is get in your car and drive to Tijuana, MX a 70 miles ride to the TJ airport. An airplane leaves every Saturday with destination Havana. About 10 to 20% of the passengers are Cuban-Americans going to see families. I am sure that some are not. Some of these are "mules" taking money to relatives of other Cubans for a fee. However, the other 80% are Hollywood types, members of academia, and just plain tourists. All that is needed is for a US treasury agent to stand at the gate at the airport and start taking pictures, and have a nice fine waiting in the mail when they return from their fabulous holiday.

Earlier this month the LA Times ran a story titled: Cuba, suspended in time. The story was nothing more than a "how to" travel to Cuba tips. It included information on how to get there (without being caught), where to stay, where to eat.

Here is one idiot's comment posted with regards to the LA Times story.
IT is a shame that Americans are unable to travel to Cuba in an open way. Our government has tried for years to get rid of Fidel Castro. We have sent hit men to try to kill him and imposed years of economic sanctions.

By my count, he is dealing with the 10th American president since he came to power. What is the point in continuing with sanctions? The only reason they continue is because of the very strong anti-Castro contingent in Florida. What is interesting is that the Cubans in Florida are only punishing the Cubans they left behind.


Here is another.
THANKS for the wonderful, unbiased article on Cuba, "Cuba, Suspended in Time," Jan. 15]. Finally, an article free of anti-Castro jabs. I've been to Cuba four times, and your article was right on.

Four times!! At a minimum Ms. Thompson owes the US treasury $30,000.

No comments: